Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 06:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

54 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to Ebay, or advice on selling on ebay...  (Read 393 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
Alternatives to Ebay, or advice on selling on ebay...
« on: September 04, 2021, 04:56:23 PM »

Hey all,

I went to sell few things on ebay (my kid's shopkins of all things) and my account has been "paused" for selling. Apparently paypal can no longer be used for selling (supposedly buyers can purchase with it). So frustrating. I have been a member for 15 or 20 years, but I don't sell much. And every time i go to sell, rules have been changed again and I have to do some convoluted crap to sell something.

So they have this "managed payments" thing. They ask for a SIN number as optional (they shouldn't even be asking for that). I will never, ever share that. Alternatives are drivers licence or a passport numbers. Seems kind of sketchy asking for those, especially from an organization that would have the gall to ask for your SIN number. So unless I provide one of these it looks like I can no longer sell on ebay.

Anyone else run into this? Am I missing something, a way to work around this?

I also noticed it seems they force you to charge sales tax. I can't seem to turn the tax option off on the draft listing I created. This is also a crock, as I'm just trying to sell crap. Not running a business. To me ebay should be akin to an online yard sale.

So all this makes me want give ebay the finger and find alternatives. A lot of people reference facebook. I have a facebook account which I have not used in years... I don't really care to partake in facebook. But it seems like it might be a wide reaching market. Facebook has changed vastly as well, so I don't really get how it works these days. For example, if I sell there, are my friends and family going to get notified every time I list something? I don't really need them all watching all my facebook activities if I'm going to be buying and selling on there. Or are there settings?

Anyway, main thing is, are there any good easy alternatives to ebay where I can sell stuff? It should be easy and reach a significant market, just like ebay used to be. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks.

66jedikiller66

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Ebay, or advice on selling on ebay...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 10:19:11 PM »

Kijiji and Marketplace on facebook maybe instagram has something similar, not sure, that's about it.
I'd say having to provide all this info and the money going directly into your bank account is due to the government trying to keep an eye on how much money we make and are not reporting.
Keep in mind this is just speculation on my behalf.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 11:45:44 PM »

Yeah, EBAY forced everyone to switch to managed payments. Basically  they take care of all your fees and pay out the balance to your bank account.

They also charge tax because apparently it's  a law in the US. Some states dont have sales tax on used items so thise won't get charged tax if the buyer is from one of those places.
B/S/T list:
http://www.snowtroopers.ca/index.php?topic=23390.0

BS 6" First Order Tie Fighter for sale.  See B/S/T thread.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 11:56:12 PM »

Kijiji and Marketplace on facebook maybe instagram has something similar, not sure, that's about it.
I'd say having to provide all this info and the money going directly into your bank account is due to the government trying to keep an eye on how much money we make and are not reporting.
Keep in mind this is just speculation on my behalf.

This isnt good. I know this is about toys but with all this covid stuff pushing ''the great reset'' further and the things that were just mentioned with Paypal (i didnt know any of that, thanks) it sure looks like ''they'' want to control everything. Well at least with Ebay it sounds a little more normal if you dont have to give a SIN number or other personal information thats too invasive. i guess thats a way to find scammers ? still, a bit weird.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 08:25:34 AM »

I gave up on ebay when my monthly bill ate too much into what little bit of money I was making through sales. I might as well have been giving the stuff away. Facebook marketplace groups are good for a number of reasons - many/most sales are local & you don't have to deal with any shipping (provided you're willing to meet strangers in agreed upon locations) and you get paid in cash. The down sides are that people you meet in person may decide they want to negotiate at that time instead of beforehand - you have to be ready for that & either walk away or have an acceptable number in mind. I hate when people do that, though.

As far as the family being notified about your buying & selling - I've never had that as an issue & never heard of that being an issue.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 01:10:49 AM »

The down sides are that people you meet in person may decide they want to negotiate at that time instead of beforehand - you have to be ready for that & either walk away or have an acceptable number in mind. I hate when people do that, though.

oh god! i hate it when people do that too! 3 or so years ago i sold this big drum on kjiji that i never used. They came from almost an hour away so i thought i'd take 20 off just to be nice. before i could do that in person she was offering me 20 less when we met! it still bugged me cause why didnt she say that before she agreed on the price (100) before meeting ? oh thats right! clowns!

low ballers are bad too. the person before this one over this drum totally pulled that move on me. guy was so annoying but i didnt fall for it. kijiji has a lot of scum on it so be ready for sure!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:22:20 AM by bob »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »

If you're selling on kijiji, just put statements like "Price is firm, will not renegotiate when we meet."  in the ad, or even when you message with the seller.

My one bad experience from many, many years ago when selling on kijiji was when a guy came to my home and deliberately didn't bring enough money with him.  If I recall, it was for a Batman figure for $25, and he arrived and said he only had $20 cash on him and handed it over and took the figure right out of my hands. Said he'd likely be buying more stuff from me in the future and would pay me back then. 

Of course I never saw him again.  Really, it happened so fast and I was so flabbergasted at the audacity of someone knowingly bringing insufficient cash, that I didn't have time to think about it, otherwise I'd have just booted him out.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 04:13:23 AM »

My one bad experience from many, many years ago when selling on kijiji was when a guy came to my home and deliberately didn't bring enough money with him.  If I recall, it was for a Batman figure for $25, and he arrived and said he only had $20 cash on him and handed it over and took the figure right out of my hands. Said he'd likely be buying more stuff from me in the future and would pay me back then. 

what a nerve! i had someone drive from not that far away and they tried to take 5 or 10 off saying im coming from so and so. it wasnt even that far! ive gone a good way across the region and never once asked for anything off cause i'd feel like a turd for it. oh well.

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »

As a seller on Ebay part-time....I had to register a chequing account back in June 2021 as I got an email 2 weeks prior to the switch over or the account would be locked from selling until I registered with their new system. (I had an existing secondary chequing account separate from my mortgage and other bills) I registered with my Driver License to confirm the account. (DON"T USE THE SIN NUMBER EVER).  Once registered and reviewed by ebay (may take 5 days or so), you are good to go. I print my labels off through ebay now instead of PayPal, and I set-up my withdrawals/Payouts every Tuesday so I limit the amount of transactions charges on my chequing account (so only 4 or 5 payouts to my chequing account per month.) 

When I print off my shipping labels by Canada Post through Ebay, it gets automatically linked to the auction.

So far I have no complaints about the new system with Ebay.  There is also discounts on Canada Post shipping when you print your labels off via Ebay. It's so easy. I would recommend it

The only thing is you can't use the money from your sales that is sitting in your ebay payout account to buy anything for yourself on ebay (it's not like the PayPal cash balance). You can still use PayPal or Credit Card to purchase items on ebay.

As for charging automatically for 'Sales Tax'....I can't remember what my options were when I registered...but I know for mine, I didn't select it, and it wasn't mandatory back in June.

Also, if the buyer asks me and their feedback looks good, I will allow for Local Pick-up....but my rule is that I DO NOT accept payment at the door in cash or by etransfer.  The buyer has to select the 'Local Pick-up' option, and then has to pay immediately upon checkout through ebay.  (I set-up my local pick-up transactions with immediate payment.) This is to avoid those idiots that try to renegotiate the price at the door. This tactic doesn't work with me. 

For Local Pick-up, ebay will send an email confirming the purchase and include a '6-digit number QR pick-up code'.  They buyer needs to bring this code with them to pick-up their item. The reason for this code is to prevent fraud by the buyer.  (Past buyers would pay in advance, go and pick-up the item, then go home and file a refund request stating they never picked-up the item from the seller. Even if the seller was honest on their side...there were a lot of buyer scams with this.)  If the buyer says he never got a 6-digit QR pick-up code and shows up at my front door...my alternative plan is that the buyer must leave me 'positive feedback' for me at the door on their phone, or I won't hand over the item(s).  So far, all my Local pick-up transactions as a buyer or as a seller have been great experiences. Once the buyer gives me the 6-digit QR code, I enter it in on my phone which acts like a tracking number, and confirms that the buyer has completed the pick-up transaction.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:39:08 PM by IanToronto »

bobafett108

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Canadian Collector
    • View Profile
    • Quinte Star Wars
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »

I have sold thru Facebook Messenger and Kijiji. sometimes have had very good experiences and have had some not so good experiences.

I hate when people except you to sell something for 5 bucks but you have it up for 40 and they just trash you and what not when you say no.

have not tried thru ebay. but have heard horror stories from friends.
With Wookie Rage

Visit my website
https://bobafett108.wixsite.com/quintestarwars

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 07:46:29 AM »

Great detailed post, Ian. Thank you!

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 11:06:17 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. All very helpful.

Part of me gets frustrated because I haven't devoted a lot of time to selling in recent years and I was used to things being simple. And every time I go back something changes.

I was figuring I'd just quickly pop a few things up on ebay here and there, but it feels like I need to sit down and really spend some time to get back into it. I do have a crapload of stuff to get rid of. Mostly star wars stuff, but also household items like furniture, and the aforementioned shopkins my kid wants to sell.

Ian, thanks for your detailed post. Good to hear someone has been able to get the modern ebay to work for them. I haven't decided if I'm going to continue with ebay, but if I do I may send you a pm with a question or two! Though your post was quite thorough and helpful!

Thanks again everyone. And please do continue to post any tips or tricks.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »

I was really against Ebay's new policy but I gave in to it. It's really convenient and like Ian said, just give your DL.

I don't want to meet in person so Ebay's best option for me. I also use USPS to ship so I can be competitive witb my shipping prices to US as well and 99% of my sales are to the US. I don't like selling across Canada cause shipping is so expensive. Shippjng within Canada is really high in my auctions compared to shipping to US that it amazes me when someone in Canada buys something from me.
B/S/T list:

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »

Shipping in Canada does seem really high. I was looking at some single GI Joe figures from Canadian sellers on the weekend and the shipping range was from $24-$29. Seems like a very high amount. Maybe I am just out of touch.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »

It's about $16-$20 minimum now to ship across Canada.  That same thing would cost me like $6-$7 using USPS within the US.  It's actually cheaper for me to use USPS to ship something across Canada, but it would take a long time as it goes through the US into Canada.
B/S/T list:

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175319
  • Total Topics: 14458
  • Online Today: 55
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 54
Total: 56

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.