Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2022, 01:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

41 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Book of Boba Fett TV Show (SPOILERS!!!!)  (Read 3447 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Book of Boba Fett TV Show (SPOILERS!!!!)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2022, 07:07:46 PM »

It's interesting how we can all see it differently. For me, chapter 2 with all the tusken bellowing was more like the first 15 minutes of the Christmas special than anything else. I did not like chapter 2 at all, and I wasn't super excited by chapter 1 either. For me, I can dismiss the mods with scooters like I did Jar Jar & find more to enjoy in chapter 3 than both of the other 2*.

*Not including the sarlacc escape of course. That was the best part of the whole thing so far, by far.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 01:12:08 AM »

The Rancor Keeper gotta be bad.  That Actor is always the bad guy.  He's been sent by the Twin's to get the Rancor to eat Boba.  Maybe not though, maybe the Twins just did not want Boba to be their enemy after they decided to give up the territory.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »

The Rancor Keeper gotta be bad.  That Actor is always the bad guy.  He's been sent by the Twin's to get the Rancor to eat Boba.  Maybe not though, maybe the Twins just did not want Boba to be their enemy after they decided to give up the territory.

Except for that time that he was Boots in the live action Dora the Explorer.  Danny Trejo is the best.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 09:38:12 PM »

I suppose he was bad in HEAT, but it was a good, loyal sort of bad. And he's the kids uncle in Spy Kids (also directed by Robert Rodriguez)!

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2022, 12:10:19 AM »

I'd love the last episode to be Boba turning the tables on everyone at the end, Peaky Blinders style, with a montage of how he set everyone up and puts all the wheels in motion and has been playing the fool the whole time. Then going total badass on everyone and we will all lose our minds like at the end of Mando season 2.

But most likely that will not happen, which I'm fine with too. I am enjoying the show just fine, and having fun watching my 2 girls get a kick out of it, learning more SW lore, and becoming bigger fans than before.

That scooter chase though... was the only part so far that really jarred me.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2022, 03:35:04 PM »

Chapter 4 spoilers below.....

All in all, a very good episode after last week's disappointing story...  and longer running time.   It's getting hard not to notice that the "bad" ones seem to revolve around Rodriguez as the director, never mind also being too short. 

The main improvement this week would have to be Boba not doing anything too stupid as daimyo that has me yelling at the screen, WHY????   Although one could argue that parking your Slave 1 right above the Sarlacc Pitt and not expecting to wake the beast, is fairly dumb.   Dropping a bomb into the pit or finding some way to stun/disable Sarlacc first would've been the wiser approach.    One could argue that he didn't want to risk damaging his armor, but in the end they had to bomb Sarlacc anyway.

It's slowly becoming a meme that anytime Fennec points out something to Boba, which is logical and worth considering, Boba just ignores it.  Today, she says what I said last week, that the massacre of the Tuskens seems unlikely to have been done by the biker gang, and obviously suggests someone else was behind it (not hard to guess who).  Boba just goes ahead and wipes them all out anyway, not even leaving one survivor to question and verify that it wasn't them...    Perhaps he already suspects it's the Pykes anyway but knows he's not currently strong enough to attack the syndicate so why bother acknowledging it?

8.5/10

I hope the next few chapters don't keep fluctuating between "average" then "wow" then "ughhhh" and then "nice" like some kind of see-saw in quality..

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2022, 09:32:19 PM »

The masks look more like masks. I'm not sure what it is, something about how the characters are moving or something. I'm finding it harder to stay immersed in the story than I should with Star Wars.

My opinion that "less is more" when it comes to Boba keeps getting stronger every week. At his absolute best he was a mysterious new character provided to us FOR FREE. He didn't diminish at all during Empire, but died a silly death in ROJ. His return in Mando spiked his awesomeness back up again, but now we've been on a steady decline since the beginning of Book.... it's almost cartoonish how much of a failure he'd be up to this point without Fennec's help.

I won't even ask the question that's hurting my brain the most....... OK I give up I'll ask it.... how in the HECK did the Slave I's repulsor engines create SUCTION to lift the ship up out of the sarlacc pit???? That was entirely too much for me.  :speechless-smiley-004:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2022, 11:31:47 PM »

If you're talking about the part where the Slave 1 is upside down, with the Sarlacc latched on it, yeah I was wondering the same thing.  The ship is supposed to be propelled by its underside, so there's really no logical way that it should've been able to fly upward while it was upside-down.

The whole idea of bringing the Slave 1's cockpit window THAT close to the pit of a nasty creature didn't make sense right from the start. Just a reason to create some weak drama as maybe (but not likely) the ship could've been yanked into the Sarlacc I guess... but totally unnecessary and came at the expense of making Boba do something dumb.

edit:  And bless Temura Morrison's heart, the guy totally understands Boba Fett and isn't afraid to speak out about the writing on Book of Boba Fett when it doesn't work. In this case, that Boba is spending way too much time talking:

https://screencrush.com/boba-fett-talks-too-much/

Here's the video interview:
https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1483022986995060736

I noticed that one consistent thought I have had while watching Boba whenever he's doing the rounds around Mos Espa is "Keep your damn helmet on, Boba Fett never walks around with his helmet off when he's in front of others."    That and too much talking doesn't fit with the real Boba.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:20:57 AM by napseeker »

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »

I enjoyed this episode. I think the Krrsantan scenes were fantastic. I am really liking him.
Maybe Boba has some small reverse thrusters on his ship that we didn't see? They are just small and can't create enough thrust to go back. I don't know just a thought.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2022, 11:09:10 AM »

If I'm reading this right, people can suspend disbelief on lightsabers, death stars, the force and a plethora of other things that science fiction fantasy usually asks the view to suspend disbelief on, but the ability of space ship with hyperspace speed capabilities being able to hover upside down because we've never seen it before is too much??

I was the exact opposite, I actually loved seeing the ship being maneuvered with such precision by the guy who's flown it most of his existence.  I was more trying to figure out why he thought it was still in there.  He crawled out wearing it, how would at fallen back in?

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »

If I'm reading this right, people can suspend disbelief on lightsabers, death stars, the force and a plethora of other things that science fiction fantasy usually asks the view to suspend disbelief on, but the ability of space ship with hyperspace speed capabilities being able to hover upside down because we've never seen it before is too much??

I was the exact opposite, I actually loved seeing the ship being maneuvered with such precision by the guy who's flown it most of his existence.  I was more trying to figure out why he thought it was still in there.  He crawled out wearing it, how would at fallen back in?

This. It didn't even cross my mind about the engines. Star Wars ships typically have 3 types of engines: hyperspace, sublight, and repulsorlift. It would be the repulsorlifts that would be the main use in this case. I have always understood these to be directed against the planet's gravity (per Wookieepedia), so regardless of the orientation of the ship/speeder it always points "down". It's what controls the vessel's altitude in a gravity well. Then the sublights and maneuvering thrusters provide the movement to and fro.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 02:24:31 PM »

I don’t get into this deep thought mode, trying to figure out how everything works.  Maybe I am old fashioned but I just sit back, let the actions unfold, and enjoy it as it comes.  Sure some bits are better than others, but after all it’s just fantasy and I love it!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »

Yep, sadly it pushed me past my threshold - the same as them not editing Chewie's walking gait in Rise of Skywalker - he just looked like a guy in a suit to me and I couldn't get past it.

As far as the armor goes, I'm assuming he has no recollection of the Jawa interaction & may not have full recall of fighting his way out of the pit. Trauma effected memory or something.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 08:03:17 PM »

Suspension of disbelief varies greatly from person to person in an audience - as you can see, even the feedback to this nitpick has been varied (some people noticed it and care, some people really didn't notice the issue at all).

Personally the upside-down thing wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it did bring me out of the moment because I generally presume that repulsors work a specific way (have certain limitations) and in this case, that they work when the ship is upright. It's a preconceived notion, but one which is based on the assumption that things are built to do the job, but due to cost restraints usually, have limits as to what situations they work best in.

Since the Firespray may be more of an elite vehicle class, I can wave away the whole upside-down thing with the assumption that it has a better set of repulsor tech than a more average vehicle might.  But the fact that I had to stop and readjust for a moment still reflects that the writer didn't really think ahead about questions some audience folk might have.  So far this series has been replete with way too many moments where the writer or director didn't anticipate some rather "obvious" things e.g. why is Boba acting so out of character even before he meets the Tuskens?  Why are those hover-vespas so colorful and clean on a dirt-ridden planet like Tatooine?  How did Black Santa sneak into the palace so easily?   

There ARE explanations that can be conjured up to explain it, but again, it shows bad writing when a writer can't anticipate that by employing certain things in a scene, that it won't raise questions in the minds of some people.  Books on how to write your own fictional or magical story universe talk about how as a writer you can allow for anything you want in your story e.g. explosions and sound being possible in outer space, telekinesis, etc.  BUT you still have to make sure they are governed by certain rules that the audience find acceptable.   This sets up what is "realistic" in the universe so that a writer cannot just whip up any old solution to a dilemma or obstacle being faced by the hero (the deus ex machina). 

For that brief moment when the Slave-1 went up while upside-down, I did kind of think to myself, "This feels too magical" which is usually what I murmur when technology is employed a bit too conveniently, as if it were more like a magic spell.  It's not on the same level as Starkiller Base, which really felt like a bullsh*t plot device, but still.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 07:20:18 AM »

I don’t get into this deep thought mode, trying to figure out how everything works.  Maybe I am old fashioned but I just sit back, let the actions unfold, and enjoy it as it comes.  Sure some bits are better than others, but after all it’s just fantasy and I love it!

Same here. Trying to enjoy the show (and all these movies) for what they are: entertainment. It would take a lot for me not being able to accept any of this scifi western fantasy's aberrations without question ANyway, all of this is purely fictional, I fully understand and accept it, more than half of what's given, whether technological or spiritual, is quite a nonsense, and the rest is probably not better. So I accept it even without trying to digest it. Anyway, for me Star Wars has never been movies I needed to be technology sound and perfect. For me, Star Wars is a fantasy for kids -- grown up kids like ourselves included.

In terms of storytelling, I completely agree with @napseeker here: it's poory written, all these "flaws" show a real lack of care at least in consistency and, most probably as well as originality. To me, Favreau simply tries to capitalize on the character's fame and popularity among the SW fanbase. He shows us Boba Fett. A lot of Boba Fett. In armor, without armor, with his gadgets, his ships, Boba Fett all around walking and talking. But hat was to expect? The character is at first quite shallow: he's a bounty hunter, he was the silent type, his popularity driven by a mystery fans fantasize was taking root in a very deep background story. The thing is, the best thing that really happened to Boba Fett in terms of character development was done by Lucas himself during the prequels: he is the true unaltered clone of Jango Fett, whose genetic material was the basis of the Clone Army.

And the second best thing for his evolution is that Bantha... um... that Tusken Clan. This bond certainly gives him a depth he never had before, except for his need to avenge his father's death by the Jedi.

By the way, being an orphan is the summum of character development in SW. A true laziness in writing. Exploited at first by Lucas (Luke, Anakin, Leia), then by JJA (Rey, Finn), then Howard (Solo, Q'ira); OVEREXPLOITED by Filoni, who IMHO is a VERY poor creator in the SW universe, despite whatever people think of him (Ahsoka, Ezra, Sabine for a while, those Resistance kids -- um, ok they were not orphans, the show was just horrible -- Omega from the Bad Batch). And now Favreau (Din Djarin aka The Mandalorian, Grogu).

Anyway, the show isn't bad. My expectations weren't that high from the start, as a grown up never really understood the fame surrounding this character. For me, having a cool action figure as a kid does not make this character attractive as an adult. As a kid, ok sure, but as a grown up? No, not at all. My mind needs more depth than what plastic gimmicks can offer...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 176124
  • Total Topics: 14473
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 44 queries.