Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 29, 2023, 03:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ToysRUs and price increases  (Read 4028 times)

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
Re: ToysRUs and price increases
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 10:32:14 PM »

I think there definitely will be a breaking point where people will stop buying many toys.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2022, 12:06:27 PM »

The only things I ever buy from TRU now are the exclusives.  I buy mostly from Gamestop now.  Even the smaller shops are competitive with TRU now with all the price hikes.
B/S/T list:
http://www.snowtroopers.ca/index.php?topic=23390.0

BS 6" First Order Tie Fighter for sale.  See B/S/T thread.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2022, 12:34:00 PM »

Okay so this is ...interesting.  I was at my local TRU this morning to do a return.

I walked over to the Jurassic World toy aisle since there were a couple of items that I'd like to pick up if they went on sale (they are currently way overpriced, as is the trend for ToysRUs since the new owner took control).

Two jeep sets: one being the Denis Nedry and jeep, and the other is the Isla Sorna Capture jeep.  Last week they were priced at $54.99+tax.  Today I noticed that the digital pricetag is now $59.99+tax and marked as "CLEARANCE".

This is odd obviously because long-time TRU shoppers know that true clearance items will have an "8" in the price e.g. $59.98 indicates it has been marked down. But then of course, the price has gone UP not down.

I ask the customer service lady, she claims it's a mistake.  I'm just thinking to myself if this is really a mistake or a slimy sales tactic by TRU to trick uninformed parents who are going to be XMas shopping, into thinking that they're somehow getting a bargain clearance item for their kids.... when in fact, they're being deliberately scammed.

If anyone is near a TRU, please do a check and see if your pricetag on these items are also marking it as "clearance" and let me know.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2022, 01:40:43 PM »

Interesting. Does TRU still have those 50% off clearance items sales? I wonder if they increased the price in anticipation of marking it down 50%. Thus really only marking it down by 45%. Seems like a lot of effort to save a few bucks, but I have seen other stores use this tactic before. Jack the price up a bit before a big mark down to inflate the perception of a deal.

It is interesting to see TRU pricing trends over the ages. Years ago they were much like they are now. Really high prices compared to other retailers, but with frequent sales. Gradually over time, they stopped increasing action figure prices while other stores crept up with increases in MSRP. In recent years, all regular retailers charged the same for a SW figure. Now TRU seems to be going back to the old model. Then again, when they were comparable in price to others in price, they still had regular rotating sales. For years I never bought any SW figures at "regular retail" because I could pretty much get everything on sale somewhere, as long as I was patient. Now though, the sales are more sporadic, and stock is extremely erratic. So you can't count on getting anything on sale anymore. If you do it's kind of a bonus.

I keep waiting for prices to reach the tipping point where we get a mass exodus of collectors and it hasn't happened yet. But I can't help but feel we're close.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2022, 01:51:12 PM »

I think we as collectors will just keep buying, but just less and less and less... until it's maybe only one item a year or something insignificant.

It's hard to go cold turkey on a plastic crack addiction (well unless you have a wife that makes you do it, lol)

I mean I saw the Morak TVC Boba Fett at my store, great figure... but not $42 great. And TRU basically hasn't had a SW sale since... uhhhh, January?  So I wouldn't even bother to buy it hoping to do a LPG later because chances are there won't be a sale anyway.  And paying $42 is only going to send a signal to both Hasbro and TRU that  we're stupid enough to pay $42 for a figure that probably has a wholesale cost of $10, so they'll just keep doing it.

I'm just concerned with regards to the Jurassic World odd "clearance" pricing that TRU's new management is stepping up to a whole new level of scammy behavior by labelling clearance on stuff that is actually marked UP(!!) not down.  I saw the 6-inch Dark Trooper as well. It was $64 (whereas it should be $50 at the most). Another pass.

EDIT:  They already are kind of doing that clearance thing as a scam regardless because I walked over to their clearance table and just about everything there was definiltely NOT a clearance price. Maybe a sale price, yes, but it was still rather expensive.  The stuff was all just sitting there, because even parents weren't dumb enough to fall for this trick.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:54:11 PM by napseeker »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 07:30:49 PM »

Yakface today was revealing a Target exclusive 6” Black Series Mandalorian with Grogu and a white spider for $38.99.  That’s a lot extra for that one plastic spider!  In Canadian dollars that’s pushing $60.  The way the Canadian dollar is dropping right now it could even be more.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2022, 08:59:51 PM »

Yakface today was revealing a Target exclusive 6” Black Series Mandalorian with Grogu and a white spider for $38.99.  That’s a lot extra for that one plastic spider!  In Canadian dollars that’s pushing $60.  The way the Canadian dollar is dropping right now it could even be more.

I saw it at my TRU 5 weeks ago.

I have found a picture on the G.I Joe page on facebook that TRU is considering SW toys as collector's items and that sales for these are final, no returns or exchange.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »

Same as Goldenrod, saw that pack long ago (Check here for the online link) and going at 54.99$+ taxes, it'll still be sitting on the shelves at TRU for a while longer...

TRU Canada is going down. They're increasing their prices as a strategy to show their shareholders that they'll be able to maintain or even improve profit margins despite lower product sales. This is just smoke and mirrors, an outrageous lie they're trying to sell to their shareholders. They're probably pretending consumers will accept buying their toys with a 25-50% price increase, but that won't happen.

If us avid collectors are fedup and deciced to skip products or buy them elsewhere, can you imagine a mom or a dad in the store aisles picking up a brand new Morak Boba Fett action figure and hearing the cashier ask them 42.99$ + taxes (50$) for a tiny single carded 4'' toy? Even the cashier will look at that thing and check in her computer to make sure the price is good. No reasonable adult will accept buying that crap for that huge price. It's clearly unjustified and unreasonable.

I sadly predict Toys'R'Us Canada will vanish in the next 1-2 years. I hope I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't look like their odds are good. Their shelves are always full of often way too old products, but their aisles are more than ever void of customers. Compared to Walmart, it's a real desert. And their website is a very bad display of what they really have on their stores shelves...

For years, TRU Canada has been struggling to keep their head above the water. Despite their efforts (and price gouging strategies), sadly they're not able to maintain course. They're no match against a huge retailer like Walmart, but it's even worse with Amazon in the game. It's David against two huge Goliath giants. And this time, Goliath wins this easy fight, poor David crushed under the huge feet, while the other Goliath is laughing out loud, ready to pick up the loot...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:52:54 AM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2022, 08:54:41 AM »

I don't go into the stores anymore very often so I can't really say how they're doing overall. But the odd time when I do go in during non weekday hours, they have tonnes of parents in there. I find it annoyingly busy at those times, so when I do go, I try and go during a week day. Also, I don't know how well they do outside of the traditional action figure/80s type toy lines. But from what I understand it has been their baby's r us section that has kept them profitable. So who knows, maybe they still do well on that end. I just know that on weekends and evenings when I've gone in they're always busy. Especially during the typical peak times around Christmas.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 09:40:30 AM »

Regarding the white spider Mandalorian, at $54.99 it would be over $62 after adding HST!  As much as I would love to have it, no can do.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »

I have found a picture on the G.I Joe page on facebook that TRU is considering SW toys as collector's items and that sales for these are final, no returns or exchange.

Not only that, but TRU is apparently already forbidding returns/exchanges on closed-box Marvel Legends figures out of fears that there will be swapping (buying the item, swapping out the figure or accessories for dollar store figures or crap).  I totally understand this concern, and it's one where Hasbro is to blame, but this will only kill their sales even more.

At AFN, I read that the employees won't even let you open up the box in front of them immediately after you buy it, to verify that nothing has been swapped, that it's still going to be final sale.  Now that's something I don't think is fair because if you open it up in front of the employee right there, then you should be able to return it if there's confirmation a swap has happened.

Bad policy.

I do wonder if in 2 years time we'll start to see TRU closures, one by one (just like how EB Games/Gamestop is STILL slowly closing down stores across the country).

It's a bad time to be a toy collector.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 11:54:24 AM »

Didn't realize they won't refund Star Wars figures.  That sucks.  I would used to buy stuff there and refund it when my pre-order from cheaper place comes in.
B/S/T list:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 02:28:04 PM »

Marvel Legends seems to be non-refundable now according to what the person reported, but SW is possibly only "under consideration" and I'm not sure if they do decide to add SW to this no-refunds list if they'll make it retroactive.  So anyone who has any SW items that they were thinking of returning might want to do it sooner, rather than later.

I also want to remind folks that as of today, businesses can add a surcharge/fee to cover the fees that the merchant has to pay credit card companies.  So if you're at a retailer and are about to use your credit card to pay for your items, ask FIRST if they're going to ding you with a surcharge!  Because obviously no one wants to pay even more for stuff during inflationary times.  Comapnies are legally allowed to charge up to 2.4% on a purchase.

And just because I'm dubious of this new and improved TRU, I'm going to be especially careful to check with the cashier if I ever buy anything from their stores in the future, that there's no credit card fee.  TRU has gotten really greedy, and I wouldn't put it past them to add this kind of fee because then they keep more of the money that they previously would've had to absorb as a cost of doing business... more profit for them.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 08:08:56 PM »

Note the specification of collector figures being non-refundable:

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/faq-policy/faq-policy.html#returnsexchanges

"No returns or exchanges on gift cards, 3rd party gift cards, trading cards, digital downloads, helium tank and Collector figures."

So if you plan on buying any Hasbro items, especially if they are in blind boxes, ask the customer service rep (not the cashier, as many of these will be new hires for the XMas season and may not be aware of what's going on to give a definitive answer) if this item is going to be final sale or not.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 11:51:53 AM »

Honestly, it might depend on who's at the returns desk.  I bought the VC Gaming Greats Stormtrooper Commander at TRU cause Gamestop website had him sold out. 

Then it came in stock so I bought it at Gamestop and refunded it at TRU.  I called first to see if it was refundable and she didn't know and checked and said as long as it's unopened, then it can be returned.

I guess it might only be the blind box ones cause of swapping potential.  I'd say the safest bet is to get a gift receipt.  If it is returnable, they'll give you one.  If it's not, then that's when they should tell you.  They're also more likely to do the exchange for a gift card if you use a gift receipt anyways.
B/S/T list:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 176494
  • Total Topics: 14488
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 44 queries.