Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2021, 08:47:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

123 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon.ca Updates  (Read 101688 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.ca Updates
« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2021, 11:13:21 AM »

Now if the Tantive IV hallway drops to $35 price in 5 months time, I'll get two  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

That said, it's unfortunate about the Bespin chamber set selling so poorly.  I wonder if Hasbro had put in the Bespin Guard instead of the Stormtrooper if that might not have made a bigger difference in sales.  Or a Bespin Guard AND an Ugnaught.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 01, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »

Yeah I think the bespin set, even if costs justified the price (which I don't see how) and even if it is technically accurate to the film, it just look flimsy and really poor value for the money. It's also awkward looking for shelf display. Comparing it to the tantive set, (even if you're disappointed with it) it looks like a more complete set. Sure its obviously not a complete hallway but it doesn't look like bits are missing like the bespin set does.

The tantive set looks like a decent set if you have one that can be enhanced with additional sets. The bespin set looks like 1/2 a set that is missing something and therefore feels like less value.

Either way $35 is a good value for the bespin set.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 01, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »

I have the Bespin set. Even a cardboard backdrop to display it in front of would have made a world of difference.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 01, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »

100% agree with you JR.  I said the same thing when I first saw the set... it needed that blue-black cardboard background to really convey the sense of the freezing chamber.  Sometimes just a small addition can make a huge difference in recreating look-and-feel.

I'm torn about which playset is "better".  I agree with Cujo's remarks about how the Bespin set feels incomplete (half a playset) and for sure the Stormtrooper was a lackluster choice.  That said, I think the quality of the Bespin set exceeds that of the Tantive hallway (grey plastic is easier to look nice than white plastic that is for sure, no yellowing concerns either).  I was actually more worried that Hasbro wasn't going to use translucent orange plastic for the vent-things, and were only going to just paint those areas in orange.   

The only thing they could've done to improve it was to have modular foot pegs, because right now, I'm worried that if I just rattle my shelf by accident, my figures are all going to come tumbling down!

Flip side: the Tantive IV is crappier quality for sure, but yes, as Cujo notes, it feels less incomplete.  You don't feel the need to get a second playset (unless maybe it goes down real cheap in price).  And also it's a more exciting scene to recreate since it's a battle rather than just a group of people standing around an open hole  :P

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 01, 2021, 02:11:43 PM »

I was excited about the prospect of the Carbon Freezing Chamber when I first heard of it. I got the one that came out with the elastic-y carbonite that you could put your figure in and they were "Frozen". The fact that it was a complete playset, with a jail cell, moveable platform and the cool feature of closing the carbonite on your figure all in one was nice. The only problem I had was with the big gun accessory. I was all WTF. The guard figure was awful but he was a good background filler.

http://rebelscum.com/potjcarbonitechamber.asp

Fast Forward to this one. When I saw that it was only half of the platform I was unsure about it. Then seeing the fact that it's just some parts on legs, I was disappointed. If you want a complete chamber, you buy 2. What do you do with the other freezing unit? Why didn't they fill in the undersides of the chamber. They could have put the "underneath" with the window that Vader throws Luke out of. They could have had something to fill in the wall at the top parts, even if it was orange plastic to give the glow effect.

This just feels like a money grab to me.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 01, 2021, 02:23:44 PM »

I was excited about the prospect of the Carbon Freezing Chamber when I first heard of it. I got the one that came out with the elastic-y carbonite that you could put your figure in and they were "Frozen". The fact that it was a complete playset, with a jail cell, moveable platform and the cool feature of closing the carbonite on your figure all in one was nice. The only problem I had was with the big gun accessory. I was all WTF. The guard figure was awful but he was a good background filler.

http://rebelscum.com/potjcarbonitechamber.asp

Yes!  I still have the PotJ playset as well and I still love it.  The great things about this set were:

1) as Kale noted, it felt complete and even had some nice play features
2) it came with a Bespin Guard!!!!
3) it has the control panel thing
4) even though it didn't have translucent orange plastic for those vent-things, Hasbro nonetheless have them cut open as holes so that you could still customize it with some translucent orange plastic sheets from the craft store
5) the thing was sturdy as hell, not flimsy
6) I think it sold for the same price as the TVC Bespin Freezing Chamber set (better value!!!!)
7) the underside of the platform was generic enough, that as a kid, you could use it to represent other environments e.g. the engineering room of a spaceship

The only negative was just that the standing platform and stairway were too small. Otherwise it would've been near perfect for its time.

EDIT: for anyone looking to populate their Tantive IV hallway, you can buy some loose Rebels here:

https://www.tunghori.com/product-page/vc183-vintage-collection-rebel-fleet-trooer-tantive-iv-hallway-a-new-hope-3-75?fbclid=IwAR3P60dFucwZ8Fyv0voKNQS98DUq_wt9GErd3DBhzam8vJPA6hL_DQyfYG8

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:37:48 PM by napseeker »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 02, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »

I had that old set too, but it was one of the only orig trilogy toys I wound up selling in the purge - the price was right & that guard was an abomination. The chunkiness of the freezing chamber was good though.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
B/S/T list:
http://www.snowtroopers.ca/index.php?topic=23390.0

BS 6" First Order Tie Fighter for sale.  See B/S/T thread.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 15, 2021, 10:33:34 PM »

Transport is down to $52. Sounds like a nice deal to me.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07VJJ7YMK?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 16, 2021, 04:34:35 PM »

Transport is down to $52. Sounds like a nice deal to me.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07VJJ7YMK?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Sales must've been good at that price.  It's gone back up to about $64+tax again.  I bought mine, since $52 is probably about as cheap as it'll get (unless Amazon is sitting on a warehouse full of these toys).   

I noticed that the Bespin Freezing Chamber has again dropped down to $47.  How many of these playsets do they have? You'd think at $36 they'd have cleared out most of their stock.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 16, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »

That's cause they only sell as certain amount at a low price and then the algorithm will kick in and raise the price back up until sales slow down enough again and then it'll slowly go back down.  But yeah, they gotta have a lot of these. 

If the Tantive hallway drops in price, I would love a second or 3rd one to build on the one I hvae.
B/S/T list:

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 16, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »

Gotta love those amazon algorithms. Its great to get deals but you have to constantly watch.

Whats annoying is they no longer price adjust after you buy something. So you have to re-buy and then send the first one back. They would save everyone a lot of hassle if they did an adjustment up to the return date of the first purchase. Probably counting on people being lazy.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 17, 2021, 12:59:01 AM »

So, is it free to refund on Amazon? I always thought you have to pay shipping unless there was an issue with the item.
B/S/T list:

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 17, 2021, 07:08:41 AM »

So, is it free to refund on Amazon? I always thought you have to pay shipping unless there was an issue with the item.

You have to pay for the shipping back. Sadly.

Just did a refund for a TF Cyclonus that was sold at 44.99$ on Amazon, after I found it at 29.99$ at my local Walmart. I ended up paying 44$ after taxes and shipping rather than the full 54$ amount. I definitely should have waited to see if stores would carry the toy before jumping on Amazon. Patience. I must learn patience...  :-\
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 17, 2021, 11:44:45 AM »

I haven't tried to return based on price change. I've always returned due to damage. Its free if there is something wrong.

I have had enough items come damaged it wouldn't surprise me if they flag me. I've heard of them doing that. Don't know if its true. But they are so inconsistent with their packing quality.  :speechless-smiley-004:
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174973
  • Total Topics: 14444
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 44 queries.